Jane is a member of Sparrow’s Customer Experience team. Let’s get to know Jane!
How did you get to where you are?
A long and winding road! I started my career working for a market research company in a client service/data analyst role. My group measured the data trends for new consumer packaged goods products released in small test markets (I worked with a company who was looking to launch a new candy bar).
From there I spent several years as a project manager, primarily working for a technology consulting company in Boston. While working in that role, I went out on my first maternity leave. I was struck by how generous the company was so many years ago. My first pregnancy resulted in twins and the company provided 16 weeks of paid maternity leave for the birth of multiples. I was grateful for the paid time off while I adjusted to my new role as mom. I decided to pursue that role for many years and throughout worked several jobs on and off, including selling jewelry, working at various start-ups and selling insurance.
As my kids were requiring less of my time, my focus turned to my career. Specifically, I was looking for a company with a mission I believed in, a role where I could have an impact and help other people, while continuing to learn and grow alongside a great team of co-workers.
What is a fun fact about you?
I have 3 daughters, and all are Division I college athletes. Also, my favorite meal to make when I entertain is sushi!
Why did you join Sparrow?
I joined Sparrow for a variety of reasons. Here are a few of the reasons:
- I believed in the mission and still do.
- The growth trajectory of the company.
- The leadership is strong yet humble.
- The culture is highly collaborative across all levels. (Kudos to the hiring team for continuing to find great co-workers!)
- Sparrow is small enough to remain nimble and no hint of bureaucracy.
- Sparrow cares about the employees.
What is your favorite part of working at Sparrow?
My favorite part of working at Sparrow is knowing that I’m helping people through an otherwise challenging process of coordinating all the various aspects of a leave. Additionally, I love that I am regularly learning new things and have the opportunity to pass my knowledge along to others.
What are you most excited about for your role in the next 6 months?
I am excited for how quickly Sparrow is growing and the opportunities both in career development and to be part of something great that will come with the growth.
What do you know now about working at Sparrow that you wish you knew on your first day?
How truly supportive and collaborative the team is and everyone’s input is welcome.
What are you doing this weekend?
Saturday mornings start with a long walk with my friend. I will also be hitting up the city electronics recycling center and prepping for a yard sale. I’m looking forward to cleaning out my garage, especially all of the old sports equipment. Hoping to find a good home for the items I no longer have use for.
What are some of your hobbies?
- Exercising - During Covid when the gyms were closed, I started working out with an app (plug for Kira Stokes which offers a free 7 day trial) and the workouts are amazing. Since I live in California, I also spend a lot of time outside.
- Cooking - I love to try new recipes. This week I had a lot of broccoli in my fridge, so I made a broccoli pesto. At the end of the week, I try to get creative with whatever is left in the fridge to try to minimize any waste. A lot of my cooking inspiration comes from Instagram. Since moving to California, I’ve really expanded my taco game.
- Reading - I have been a part of the same book club for 8 years. Some recent books I’ve enjoyed include “The Violin Conspiracy”, “Lessons in Chemistry" and “Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow."
What are you most proud of in the last year?
- One is graduating from Rice as a student athlete and is moving to Boston for a job in consulting.
- One graduated from Berkeley in 3 years as a student athlete and is completing a 1-year Masters this year. She is doing a second Masters at Northwestern next year.
- One is going to row crew at Berkeley next year.
What’s the last show you binge-watched?
I don’t watch a lot of TV, but I recently binge-watched Suits. I also started watching Succession and was told the last season is the best.
What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home?
Israel - Trip highlights include climbing Masada and swimming/floating in the dead sea. Also, the falafel in Israel is amazing!
Want to join our team? Check out our careers page and apply!